Sunday, July 29, 2012

Another dog homily - preached July 28/29 at Blessed Kateri parish, St. Cecilia site:


We have two dogs at home, a big one and a little one.  And Sadie, our little dog, has a game that she likes to play with her food.  And it works like this.  She comes around and lets us know in her own way that she’s hungry –  she follows me to the garage as I pour some food into her dish, and then she follows me back into the house, and there she lays down right next to her bowl to protect her food.  She’ll even sometimes growl at Maddie, our big dog, to dare her to try to come over here and eat my food.  And, if we’re out of the room and forget to put Sadie’s food up out of reach, Maddie will usually do just that – she’ll walk right over and eat Sadie’s food.  Now this game of Sadie’s, this guarding her food and growling to keep Maddie away consumes most of Sadie’s waking hours.  She even seems to sleep with one eye open so as to protect her food.  She doesn’t understand that out in the garage there this giant bag of dog food, and I don’t think she appreciates that one of us goes out to fill her dish pretty much whenever she asks.

            Sadly, I see a lot of myself in both dogs’ behavior, especially Sadie’s.  I jealously protect and guard what is mine, often forgetting, not appreciating, that everything I have is a free gift from God.  And sometimes I find myself looking at what others have and wishing it was mine, unsatisfied with what I’ve been given.  For me, the temptation to guard what is mine and growl at anyone who may want some of it is especially strong at times like this, in an economy like we have today.  I sometimes let fear get the best of me, and I tend to forget, or if not forget then not trust, that God is generous, that God provides, that figuratively, God has a big bag out in the garage.

            And that brings us to today’s Gospel.  For there is one way of looking at Jesus’ miracle that we read about today, and perhaps you’ve heard this before, that says that Jesus didn’t have to create loaves and fishes out of thin air.  Rather, so this theory goes, there was something in what Our Blessed Lord said, or perhaps in the way He looked right into the peoples’ hearts, that caused them that day to open up their cloaks and bags and give freely of the loaves and fishes that they had brought with them.  Food that perhaps they had been guarding, food that they had been protecting, grasping.  Giving so freely that there were twelve baskets left over.  And I suppose if Our Lord were able to change hearts that quickly and that profoundly, that would qualify as a miracle, or so this line of thinking goes.

            I actually like that way of looking at this Gospel passage, but it leaves me sort of unsatisfied.  I mean, Jesus wasn’t just some unusually effective, or charismatic preacher.  No, Jesus was the Son of God, the very Word of God made flesh.  The healer of lepers, who made the blind see and the deaf hear.  Who could change water into wine and even raised folks from the dead.  So I don’t doubt for a second that he had the power to multiply five loaves and two fish and feed thousands. 

            I want to believe, I choose to believe, that somehow He took these bread and fish, blessed them, broke them and shared them with the multitude such that there was plenty for everyone and some left over, and my 21st-century brain doesn’t need to know how He did it. 

            For aren’t most of seven billion people somehow fed every day from the goodness of the earth He created?  And isn’t the earth God created capable of feeding every one of us?  If you stop to think about it, isn’t that absolutely amazing?  And yet, we don’t know exactly how that happens.  It comes to mind especially at times like this when we read about drought facing much of our nation’s farmlands. 

            Further, don’t we believe that all that is seen and unseen was created through Him?  The moon and the sun and the stars? 

            And don’t we believe that for 2000 years, in the person of the Priest, Jesus has been taking, blessing, breaking and sharing His very Body and Blood with His followers the world over?  Nourishing us and feeding us to heal us and unite us and send us forth to do His work?  So I believe that our God who created the universe could and did a miracle, a wonder, a sign that day.  One that so impressed the people, so impressed his disciples, that this is the only miracle that all four Gospel writers describe.

            But for us here, for us now, if WE want to be miracle workers, if we want to let Jesus work miracles through us, then I sorta like the newfangled way of explaining today’s Gospel.  If my own heart were to be so changed, so transformed, if all of our hearts were to be so touched by Our Lord, such that each of us would fully trust, that each of us would share freely from our abundance, recognizing that everything we have is God’s gift, well it seems to me that all the poor and hungry of the world would be fed.  The children of Africa and Haiti and other third-world places would have plenty to eat and none would die today of starvation, or bad water, or rampant disease.  Instead of clutching and grasping and protecting what God has given, if every person were to trust in the goodness and providence of the Lord and share from our abundance, no one would go without. 

            And that WOULD be a miracle, wouldn’t it?

            Let me close with a very simple prayer: 

            Heavenly Father, give bread to all who hunger.  And to all who have bread, give a hunger for justice.  We pray in Jesus name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment