Monday, March 18, 2013

Preached yesterday, 5th Sunday of Lent, Third Scrutiny (Cycle A readings) at SKT-St. Margaret Mary, 11am:

Mass readings:    http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/031713-year-a-scrutinies.cfm

Sorry - no audio recording. 

(a reprise of the homily I preached a year ago at Immaculate Conception/St. Bridget's which I had prepared for homiletics class)




She was not asleep, of that I was certain. 

No, she was not asleep. 

For as I stood before her, my mind raced back to my childhood – to all those nights Mom had fallen asleep on the couch, exhausted from a day of raising seven kids, her mouth wide open – “I’m catching flies” she used to joke. 

No, she was not asleep.  Her mouth was tightly shut, lipstick neatly applied, her hair perfectly arranged – no curlers like she used to wear at night. 

No.  My mom was dead.  Lying here before me in this casket my siblings and I had picked out only the day before, now beautifully dressed, a peaceful look on her powdered face, nothing like the pained, anguished look she had when I last saw her at the nursing home, as she struggled for every breath before finally giving up.

“Calling hours begin at two, so would the family please be here at 1:30,” the funeral director had told us.  This was that awkward half hour – time to first view the body, console one another, and steel our demeanor before the well-wishers arrive.  A moment seared in my memory forever.

And I recall saying a quick prayer, a much nicer prayer than I had been thinking at the nursing home three days earlier – that prayer went something like this: “Lord if you had been here, my mother would not have died.”  No, this time I prayed “Jesus, you can raise her.  You raised Lazarus, and he had been dead four days and wrapped and buried in the tomb.  This is only the third day for my mom.”  I watched her closely, hoping to see her chest rise and fall with new breath.  Nothing.  Unlike Lazarus, Mom is not coming back.

Ah, in a way, in the most important way, SHE IS!  

You see, this Jesus Christ, who is both living water and the light of the world today proclaims to us that He, Jesus Himself, is the Resurrection and the Life!    He is the Resurrection and the life.

Now I have to believe that nearly every one of us here has experienced the death of a loved one.  Yes, each of us has been there at some time, some of us many times over, weeping along with Mary and Martha, weeping along with Our Blessed Lord, suffering the grief and pain, agony even, of death and separation.

 And each of us will one day experience our own physical death, so for us these words of Jesus should give us great hope and comfort! 

“I am the Resurrection and the Life,” He says.  Whoever believes in me, even if they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.”  I firmly believe that my mother, who died in Faith, will one day walk out of her tomb!  Yes, I believe this.  And I believe if I die in His friendship, and you, we will walk out of our tombs as well!

But, my brothers and sisters, this hope is not just for those who have fallen asleep.  For Jesus isn’t only the Resurrection, but He is also the LIFE!  And His promise is not only for life after death, but he promises us eternal life beginning NOW.  Jesus has the power to bring new life to the darkest times and situations we face in our lives, NOW.

  He stands before whatever tombs are in our lives, our broken relationships, our sinful addictions, grudges that we cling to, forgiveness that we refuse to give, job losses or troubled marriages, whatever it is that bind us and entomb us, and He asks us:

“Do you believe that I can heal this?  That I can bring new life from this death?  <pause>    Do      you      believe      in     ME?”

It’s the same question He asks Martha “Do you believe this?” It’s the same question He asks of our catechumens, who will answer by submitting to the waters of baptism in two weeks at the Easter Vigil, when they are also anointed, confirmed,  and then share in Christ’s very Body and Blood in the Sacrament of Eucharist.  And He asks each of us today, “Do you believe this?”

It’s a question that demands an answer, that demands that we choose.  That we choose with our entire lives.  A choice to leave behind our tombs of sinfulness, to leave behind all that binds us, no longer alive, but dead for a long time.   A choice to stop stumbling in darkness, afraid to come out into the light.  A choice to open ourselves to Him, to seek His forgiveness, and to allow Him to place within us His Spirit, that we may live!  A choice to say YES, LORD, I believe in you with all my heart, and I will follow you in faith, giving You my very life!

To each one of us here today, Jesus shouts those liberating words of life:

 "Lazarus, come forth!"

He calls you and He calls me - to wake from our sleep.  To rise from our tombs.  To walk in new life, in Faith in Christ Jesus, who is Lord forever and ever.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment