Sunday, April 14, 2013

Preached yesterday and today - Third Sunday of Easter, St. Kateri at St. Margaret Mary

Readings:   http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/041413.cfm

Audio: https://sites.google.com/site/sktdeaconed/home/mp3/150414_001.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1


            Easter time is supposed to be a time of great joy.  Of celebration.  Exultation.

            But let me be so bold as to say this – it was not a time of great joy for Peter.  I can say this with some confidence because more than any other disciple of Jesus, the Gospels provide a window into what was going on in Peter’s mind, and in his heart.

            No, it was not a time of great joy for Peter.

            More likely, I imagine it was a time in which he felt humiliation, and shame and despair, oh probably mixed with feelings of some joy and utter confusion over the resurrection of the Lord.  Mixed feelings.  Strong feelings.  Feelings of wonder and awe at these mysterious appearances of the Lord.  But feelings of shame at having betrayed Jesus three times.  Wanting desperately to be with the Lord again, but afraid about what the Lord might say to him.  Afraid to hear “how could you betray me at my hour of greatest need, Simon?  Get behind me, you Judas.” 

            Perhaps wanting to beat Jesus to the punch and simply tell Him “Master, depart from me, for I am a sinful man.”

            This is the condition of Peter’s mind and heart I imagine as I read and reflect on this Gospel.  Despairing of his sin.  Confused about all the Lord taught and did, about what he is to do with the rest of his life.  So Peter along with some of the disciples have returned to Galilee.  He announces I am going fishing.  I’m going back to what I know how to do.  Perhaps having a flashback to the words of the Lord – “I will make you fishers of men.”

            Fishing all night and catching nothing, this mysterious stranger calles them “children” and tells them to try the other side of the boat, and suddenly the net is full almost to breaking!  The beloved disciple whispers to him “It is the Lord!” Peter tucks in his garment and impulsively jumps in the water to swim to shore, perhaps with a flashback to the other time he was the only one to leave the boat to go to the Lord.

            But now on the shore, he approaches the Lord sheepishly and he looks down, seeing the charcoal fire the Lord has built.  His mind flashes back to the courtyard of the high priests’ house, the night of Jesus’ arrest, huddled in the dark and cold around a charcoal fire, and his heart drops as the words ring out in his memory:  “are you not also one of this man’s disciples?  I am not.”  He winces as he remembers his own words, how he cursed and swore and shouted “I do not even know the man.”

            And now here He is. The Man standing before him. 

            But not with eyes of disdain or hatred, but with eyes of love.  Welcoming eyes.  Forgiving eyes.  Without a word, Jesus’ mercy and forgiveness and peace wash over Peter, and in the blink of an eye, the joy of Jesus’ resurrection wells up inside Peter.

            Just as Peter has denied the Lord three times, Jesus asks him three times:  “Do you love me?”  To which Peter responds three times “Yes Lord, you know that I love you.  Yes Lord, you know that I love you.  Lord, you know everything.  You know that I love you.”  Peter is healed, redeemed, restored to friendship with the Lord.  He is given a second chance.

            And in redeeming Peter, Our Lord clears up any confusion about the mission of the rest of his life.  He is to demonstrate his love for the Lord.  “Show me,” the Lord tells him.  “Feed my lambs.  Tend my sheep.  Feed my sheep.  You, Peter, are the new shepherd of the sheepfold.  Follow me.”  In this brief moment, Peter is forgiven, restored to wholeness, and given a new lease on life.  A new mission for His life.  Which he takes up and follows unreservedly, all the way to his own suffering and death on another Roman cross. 

            My brothers and sisters, Our Lord is speaking to me, and to you, today, in this Gospel.  He is inviting you and me to move beyond whatever it is in our lives that we are ashamed of, that we are humiliated by, that is holding us back from following Him unreservedly.  He is inviting us to face the charcoal fires in our own lives, and like He did with Peter, Jesus is searching for us to find us and restore us to friendship with Him.  So that we may approach the Lord with trust in His love and mercy.  And be restored to wholeness, feel His peace and be filled with Easter joy.

            Jesus is asking you and He’s asking me “Do you love me?  Do you love me more than these?  Do you love me more than everything else in your life?  Will you let me, the Lord, be the center of your life?”

            And He’s asking us to answer in truth “Yes Lord, you know that I love you?”  For once we have experienced His love, and mercy, and tenderness, how can we answer any other way?

            But Jesus is also saying to you and to me, “now show me.  Show me with the rest of your life.  A life of repentance of sin, a life of change.  A life lived only for me, the Lord, in service of my lambs, my sheep.  A life lived so that all those who see you will know that you are different, that you are my disciple, and they will glorify my Father in Heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment