Sunday, May 5, 2013

Preached yesterday and today - Sixth Sunday of Easter - at St. Kateri at Christ the King



 


          I can remember it clearly, because it happened before every single Christmas when I was a kid.  And before every one of his birthdays, too.  My dad, when asked what he wants for Christmas or his birthday, could be counted on to tell us “All I want is peace and quiet.”  Like clockwork.  “Peace and quiet.” 

            A father of seven unruly kids who went to work six days a week as a lawyer and politician, he probably didn’t get very much “peace and quiet,” and I admit now that I’m a dad and go off to work each day, I have days when I yearn for a little “peace and quiet,” too.

            We gave my dad Old Spice.  He never did get peace and quiet.

            Peace.  We hear it in the first reading from Acts - how some of the disciples have come down from Judea and are disturbing the peace with teachings that are apart from the teaching of the Apostle.  And Jesus speaks of peace in this Gospel.  Peace is His gift to His disciples.  “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you.”

            Reflecting quite a bit over the past couple weeks about “peace” I realize that I am often not all that peaceful a person.  Oh, I’m not a violent guy.  I don’t own a gun, nor am I on a waiting list to buy one.   And I keep my road rage under control.  Well, usually.  I guess in my book, violence isn’t a very good way to solve problems. 

            But that kind of peace, the absence of conflict or violence, isn’t what Our Lord is talking about here.  He’s talking about inner peace, peace in the mind and heart.  And it occurs to me that there are many times when I’m not very peaceful deep down inside.  Perhaps there are times when you aren’t either.

            Now, that’s an understandable thing – I mean there are a lot of things to be unpeaceful about these days.  To be stressed out about.  Anxious.  Worried.  Bombings in Boston, shootings  in Connecticut.  Natural disasters.  Rapid changes in society, often seeming out of control.  A secular culture that each day seems to stray farther from the teachings of Jesus and His Church. 

            And each of us has crosses in our daily lives to bear.  Some small.  Some large.  Some perhaps seemingly unbearable.  Sickness.  Perhaps chronic illness.  Perhaps life threatening.  Family, or marital problems perhaps.  The loss of dear loved ones.  And I could go on.

            And don’t forget the crosses that we bring on ourselves through sin.  Especially the sin of pride – a lack of humility – in my case my being a know-it-all, or wanting to change the world – change everybody else (rather than the one person I actually can change!).   Or maybe our attachments to the things of this world disrupt our peace.   Not as the world gives do I give to you, says the Lord.  The things of this world won’t give us peace, He tells us.

            All of these things tend to shake our inner peace, our inmost calm.  All can bring us down, discourage us, maybe even depress us.  Each one of us, I’ll bet, comes here today with his or her share of burdens, of distractions, that keep us from experiencing the peace that Jesus promises us.

            What is it about these things that keeps us from experiencing that peace?  Two things come to mind – living in the past, and living in the future.  Rather than living in the present, the here and now.  Many of us are stuck in the past.  Holding on to hurts, to grudges, refusing forgiveness.  Replaying scenes of our lives, over and over and over again.  Always with the same outcome.  Reliving the same frustrations.

            And many of us live perpetually in the future, planning for tomorrow, more likely worried about everything that might happen, or might not happen. 

            What Jesus is saying to you and to me today is this.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or anxious.  I am with you today.  Right now.  Not in the past.  Not in the future.  Right now. 

            Now in this Gospel He is preparing the disciples for His departure, for His passion and death.  But He promises them that they will not be alone.  That the Father will send the Spirit Advocate to them, to come and dwell with them.   Each day, in the present. God with us, and in us.  To teach them and remind them of Jesus’ words.

            Jesus says to us – “don’t obsess about the past.  Or be anxious or worry about the future.  Live in the present, for that is where I Am.  Give to me and let go of all that is troubling you, all that burdens you, all that weighs you down.  All that keeps you far from me, all your sins, all your attachments – give them to me and trust me.  Trust me.  Cling to me,” He is telling us.  That is where you will find my peace

            The celebrant begins Mass by saying “Grace to you and peace from God our Father.”  Father Paul prays that the “peaceful grace” of God be ours.  After the “Our Father” Father Paul?Joe will pray these words:

            “Deliver us, O Lord, we pray from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress.  As we await the blessed hope, the coming of Our Savior, Jesus Christ.”

            And just before we come to the altar to receive the Eucharist, the Sacrament of Christ’s presence, the Sacrament of his being with us here and now, we will hear the words of the Gospel again – “peace I leave you, my peace I give you.” 

            Let those words sink in. As we wait for Christ to come again, we pray for the grace to live free from sin and safe from all distress.  To Live in peace.

            And once we experience His peace in our hearts, God living within us, we can’t help but bring that peacefulness into the world, to our families, friends, co-workers, everyone we meet.  I think of Father Joe as the example of a truly peaceful person, one who brings peace everywhere he goes.  In the Peanuts cartoon, the character Pigpen has a cloud of dust and dirt that follows him everywhere he goes.  Father Joe has a cloud, but it’s a cloud of peacefulness that follows him wherever he goes.

            You and I are called to have that same cloud of peace, and through prayer, Sacrament and love of neighbor, Christ gives it to us.  Imagine the kind of community, the kind of country, the kind of world we would have if everyone lived in Christ’s peace. 

            Obviously, not everyone is peaceful.  But if we, those who profess Faith in Christ Jesus aren’t the peaceful ones, if we aren’t the peacemakers, who will be?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment