Tuesday, December 9, 2014

December 8 2014 - Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary (Patronal Feast Day of the United States of America)




Mass Readings:     http://usccb.org/bible/readings/120814.cfm

            I saw Father Morgan at a function on Thursday evening, and he asked me if I’d be open to preaching on Monday for the feast of the Immaculate Conception, and I said “sure.”  Then Thursday night and all day Friday and into Saturday I started to freak out a bit – what am I going to say about Mary, the Immaculate Conception, conceived in the womb of her mother St. Anne, without stain of original sin? And I wondered - what can I say that will make a difference in your lives and mine?
            And the more I thought about it, the more and more I felt unworthy.  Unworthy.  I mean, who am I, sinful as I am, to stand up here and speak of the Holy Mother of Our Blessed Lord?  And I mean holy not only as in free from original sin, free from any sin or defilement, but holy as it really means, set apart, completely “other.”  The more I contemplated her holiness, her spotlessness, well, the more “other” I felt, the more I felt my own sinfulness and defilement, and the more I realized how far below I am to the ideal.
            And as I contemplated her up here and us down here, it occurred to me how necessary it was that she be conceived without sin.  Here was the Blessed Mother of Our Lord, chosen before the world began to uniquely cooperate in our redemption by bringing the only Son of God into the world, chosen by God to be the first tabernacle of Our Blessed Lord.  I ask you to look up there to the high altar.  See the beautiful, bright, golden tabernacle in which Our Lord is reserved.  Beautiful and sacred as it is, Mary was ever so much more sacred, as she was the first tabernacle, carrying within her God Himself!  So it makes perfect sense that God would have created this woman without stain of sin, holy and immaculate, as it was her mission from the moment of her conception to carry within her Jesus, and bring to us her Son’s salvation!
            That’s all well and good, it’s a non-negotiable dogma of the Church, believed by the faithful for centuries, going back to the earliest days of the Church, even if it was only defined as a dogma 160 years ago, but what does that have to do with you and me?
            And what comes to mind is that you, and I, are also tabernacles of Our Blessed Lord. Now none of us were conceived immaculate, but nonetheless whenever we eat and drink of the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord, we, too, hold within us Jesus Himself.  So, sinners that we are, we are obliged to be as free from sin, as free from stain or defilement, as we can possibly be when we receive Him into us! 
            It didn’t take too much contemplation on the mystery of this feast, on the ideal of this immaculate mother of Christ, and I concluded I needed to get myself to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  For even though you and I are not without sin, when we step out of the confessional, that is as close as we’re going to get on this side of the grass.  Now surely the Sacrament doesn’t inoculate us from sinning again.  But frequently confessing our sins and seeking God’s mercy in the Sacrament, and frequently receiving the Lord in Holy Communion, Christ works within us, sanctifying us, making us more and more holy.
            For while we were not conceived without sin, to be without sin is our goal, and indeed, our eternal destiny if we’re to be counted among the saints. For nothing stained or defiled or sinful will be found in heaven.  Our Lord Jesus will, by His death and resurrection, free us once and for all from sin and lead us, a holy and immaculate people, as His gift to His heavenly Father. 
            So let us call upon Mary, Mother of God and Holy Immaculate Conception, to pray for us:
Hail Mary, Full of Grace…

No comments:

Post a Comment