Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Daily Mass Homily - May 5, 2015 (6:30a at Christ the King)

Readings:  http://usccb.org/bible/readings/050515.cfm



           
 It was probably 15 years ago, but sometimes things remain with you even that long.  I was calling up a client of mine, I’ll call him Jay, and before getting to the reason for my call, I intended to exchange the usual pleasantries.  So after he answered the phone I’m sure I said something to the effect of “Hi Jay, it’s Ed – How are you?”  And here’s the part that stayed with me – he answered “I am peaceful.”
            Boy did that throw me for a loop – not “I am fine,” “doing well,” or even “I’ m great” – but “I am peaceful.”
            I suppose it stuck with me because, truth be told, I’m not usually very peaceful.  And I really wish I were peaceful.  Actually it seems harder and harder to be peaceful in a world that often seems like it’s heading to hell in a handbasket.  I can’t read a newspaper of news on the internet without losing my peace, without being outraged even.
            But if stop to think about it, I find half of me thinking that I really am supposed to be peaceful, at peace, filled with joy even, and that any sign that I’m not at peace should be a warning to me that something deep inside me isn’t quite right.  That something inside me needs healing, or straightening out, redeeming.
            And I find half of me wondering if my lack of peace isn’t because things aren’t the way they’re supposed to be, and it’s my calling to do what I can to set things straight, filled with holy anger even, like the prophet Isaiah said “For Jerusalem’s sake I will not be quiet until her vindication shines forth like the dawn.”
            This was the conflict inside me as I prepared to preach this morning – am I really supposed to be at peace?  And the conclusion I reached is the same message Our Lord makes clear in this Gospel  - that the peace we seek is never going to come from this world, that it’s only His peace He leaves to His disciples, and that He calls down upon His disciples.  A profound peace that endures all of life’s tribulations, disappointments, tragedies, grief – a peace that allows us, His disciples, to persevere in faith amid all of life’s hardships, as we read in the first reading from Acts.  A peace secure in the belief that this world is not our ultimate home.
            But - what of my righteous anger, my lack of peace at the brokenness and disorder all around us?  The answer to that, I would propose, is that while we will never find our peace from this world, it’s our mission to bring His peace into this world.  In every situation, in every troubled heart, in every fear and conflict and act of violence, this world thirsts for that peace that only He can give.  And we – you and I, the Church – filled with His strength and peace ourselves – are called to be the instruments of that peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment