Sunday, November 4, 2012

Homily preached this morning at Christ the King, 7:30 Mass (Deut 6:2-6, Heb 7:23-28, Mark 12:28b-34):


I don’t think there’s ever been a time when I’ve gone through the checkout line at Wegmans and I’ve glanced at the tabloids that I didn’t see in bold print some headline about this or that celebrity whose love is on the rocks or who are filing for divorce.  Indeed, when you hear about Hollywood marriages that last a long time, like Charleston Heston and Lydia Clarke who were married for 65 years, you open your eyes and are quite surprised, even astonished, because it’s so out of the ordinary.  When these Hollywood marriages split, you usually hear explanations like

“We just fell out of love”

“The Romance was gone”

Or

“I just didn’t feel in love anymore”

            I remember growing up thinking of love in terms of feeling.  I felt love for my dad and my mom. And sometimes for my brothers and sister.  I felt a feeling I thought was love at my first crush.  I met my wife and we became good friends, and eventually I “felt” in love with her, and can still remember the car ride in the mountains of North Carolina when I told her that for the first time.

            But I’m not sure I can tell you when I’ve ever felt love for God in the same way.  Or “felt” love for neighbor like that either.  Sure, I’ve always felt a measure of devotion to the Lord, and I’ve always felt a sense of responsibility for my neighbor, but did I feel love?  I’m not so sure.  Certainly not the same way I feel love for my wife and kids.

            This is important because today’s Gospel speaks of the two greatest commandments.  Not suggestions, mind you, but commandments!  Jesus quotes the Hebrew scriptures, indeed He quotes from Deuteronomy, our first reading, saying “Hear O Israel!  The Lord is our God, the Lord alone! Therefore you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.”  He commands us to love God!  That always troubled me a bit, for what if I didn’t feel love for God?  And for most of my life, I can honestly confess I haven’t really felt love for God?

            Well it comes down, I think, to how you define love.  Our culture, our society, and even our upbringing, tend to define love in terms of a feeling.  But I think that misses the mark.  As we know, feelings come and feelings go.  The love we’re speaking of in the Gospel, and in Deuteronomy, is more than a feeling – it’s a decision.  The love Christ commands of us is not a feeling, its’ a decision.  An act of the will.  It’s done as much with the brain as with the heart.   It’s deciding to order our lives such that God comes first.  It means persisting in our daily prayer, even when we might not feel like it.  Even when God may feel far away.  Even when life has caused us pain and we might be angry with God.

            This love calls us to obey His commandments and those of His Church, even when we might not want to, even when it may be difficult, even when nobody else does.   And it means that when we’ve sinned, when we’ve betrayed our love of God, this love Jesus commands of us means that we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and beg the Lord for mercy, and the best place for that Is the confessional!

            There’s another word for this kind of love – and the word is faith.  For the faith that is asked of us is more than words.  It’s more than our making a profession weekly about what we believe.  It’s about how we prioritize our lives, about how we live our lives, about the place of Our Blessed Lord in our lives.

            But love of God is not the only love Jesus commands of us today.  He quotes the Hebrew scripture Leviticus when he says that we must love our neighbor as ourselves.  And this is the same sort of love – an act of will, a decision.  In fact, it logically follows from our decision to love God that we will want to make decisions to love our neighbor.  When our faith is alive and on fire, when we realize just how much God loves us, we cannot help but to love our neighbor.  Whether or not we feel any love for them, we cannot help but to love them, cannot help but to serve them.

            Theresa is a great example of what I’m talking about here.  This wonderful book, Come Be My Light, reveals over 30 years of Theresa’s private writings and it offers a keen insight into this amazing woman’s mind and soul.  She reveals that for much of her adult life, she experienced feelings of darkness, of dryness, of distance from God.  She would pray, participate in liturgy and receive the Eucharist every day, yet for most of those days she felt nothing at all.  She even wondered if God was dead, she felt so far away.  Yet she persevered.  She got up every day and continued on her mission to serve the poorest of the poor, opening missions in over 100 countries.  Despite feeling nothing at all, she continued to love God and neighbor, and her Missionaries of Charity are now active in 133 countries.

            We can do the same.  Indeed we are called to do the same, commanded to do the same.  Oh maybe not do the heroic works that Mother Theresa did, but to get up every day, pray, participate in Eucharist if we are able, and persevere in an active love of God and neighbor.   Not so that we may receive any reward, not so that we may receive any glory, but only so that by our lives and by our love we may glorify the Father of Jesus Christ who is Our Lord forever and ever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment