Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Preached Sunday, November 11 at SKT at Christ the King  (Mark 12:38-44, 1st reading 1 Kings 17:10-16, 2nd reading Heb 9:24-28):


                I will sometimes lie down on the couch, or the floor, to watch TV at night, and often when I do, I will fall asleep.  Well not too long ago I had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up in the middle of the night and the TV was still on, and there was one of these late-night infomercials on.  They weren’t selling some gadget or exercise machine, no, their pitch went something like this – if you’re down on your luck and at the end of your rope financially, all you have to do is make a contribution to our TV ministry so we can spread the word of God.  I watched with interest for awhile, wondering what sort of contribution they were requesting.  And then they gave the number – if you want to gain God’s good favor and finally have some success financially, all you have to do is send us $1000.  If you don’t have that kind of cash, we gladly accept VISA, MasterCard and American Express.  I heard that and my jaw just dropped – I couldn’t believe it.  And I got mad.  I got incensed.  These people, going on television and taking advantage of people in their financial stress, all in the name of God and Jesus Christ.

                It’s that sort of thing, I think, that Jesus is talking about in the first part of this Gospel.  Beware of the scribes who wear long robes and say long prayers and then “devour the houses of widows” Beware of those who are taking advantage of those who are most vulnerable, the most destitute.  And make no mistake, a widow was the most vulnerable and destitute person in society in Jesus’ time.

                To fully understand these readings, we need to explore what it meant to be a widow in Jesus’ time.  It was a time in which women basically had no rights, including inheritance rights, and a time in which women did not, could not, work outside the home.  A woman depended completely on her husband for her sustenance.  And if a woman lost her husband, with no inheritance rights, she’d have to rely completely on the generosity of her family or community.  It’s a picture of complete dependence.  Complete reliance.  Of complete trust.

                So Jesus is teaching that if the scribes, or you or I for that matter, are to take advantage of someone in such a dependent, vulnerable state, a severe judgment will come upon us.  Indeed, we are called to the opposite – we are called to protect and defend the rights of the vulnerable – the poor, the elderly, the unborn, the underprivileged in our society.  We are called, in fact, to give them preferential treatment.  It’s known as the preferential option for the poor.  Pope Benedict has said “love for widows and orphans, prisoners, and the sick and needy of every kind, is as essential as the ministry of the sacraments and preaching of the Gospel.”

                But at the same time as He gives a warning to the scribes, Jesus shines a spotlight on the attitude, the faith, of this poor widow.  See this widow?  This woman who has almost nothing?  She just dropped her last two cents into the collection.  She gave all she had.  She’s gonna have to rely on God, on others’ generosity, for her next meal!  So not only does this woman live a life of complete dependence, of complete reliance, she has an attitude of complete reliance.  And that’s the attitude that Jesus is inviting you and me to take on in this Gospel.   An attitude of complete reliance.  Of complete trust.  Of complete surrender.

                Contrast that, if you will, with the attitudes that I think many of us have, certainly that I often have.  One is sort of an attitude of my rights, of entitlement if you will.  And that can show up in multiple ways.  One way is this:  I worked hard for that money so I’m entitled to do with it as I please.  I’m often guilty of this one.  I work long hours and sometimes have to sacrifice seeing my wife and kids, so whatever success I’ve achieved I’ve earned, I get to keep.

                There’s another attitude of entitlement and it goes like this.  The government has made all these promises to me about benefits I’m gonna get, and darn it, I’m gonna get what I’ve got coming to me!

                BOTH attitudes, it seems to me, if I really ponder Jesus’ words in my heart, are contrary to the message Our Lord has for us today. 

                For by putting the spotlight on this poor widow, Jesus is calling us, I think, to transcend these attitudes and take on an attitude of dependence, complete reliance, on God.  An attitude where we realize that everything we have, everything we are, is a complete gift from God.  Everything is God’s gift.  Including the work ethic and the smarts and the luck that helped me to succeed.  An attitude that says that there is nothing I have, or am, that didn’t come to me from God.

                When we realize that everything is gift, we start to trust God and completely rely on Him, and trust that He will continue to provide.  Provide maybe not necessarily what we want, but trust that God will always provide what we need.   And when we place our trust completely in God’s providence, we can’t help but to be thankful.  A humble, trusting heart simply has to be a grateful, thankful heart.   

                Third, like the woman in today’s Gospel, we become more and more generous.   We realize that we are stewards o f that which we’ve been given, and we freely give away, trusting that God will provide.  The widow in the Gospel had a few small coins.  She could have held one or two back, but she gave them all away.  The widow in our first reading had just a handful of flour and a little oil left, yet she freely gave it away.  You see, a trusting and thankful heart leads us to be completely generous with those gifts God has given us.  God has generously given to us so, trusting in Him, we give away, we give back.

                So as we prepare for our Sacrament of thankfulness, the Holy Eucharist, the Sacrament of Christ’s goodness and generosity, let us pray that God will give us new hearts.  New hearts that are trusting hearts.  Thankful hearts.  Generous hearts.

                In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

* * * * * * *

                As a reminder, as we heard in the announcements, we have an opportunity next week to demonstrate our gratefulness and our generosity.  Our neighbors just 350 miles to the Southeast are suffering greatly in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.  Thankful for our relatively mild weather here in Irondequoit, and hearing Christ’s commandment from last week’s Gospel that we love our neighbor, I urge you to be generous when the second collection is taken next week to assist with the Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.  Thank you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment