Sunday, December 2, 2012

Preached this weekend at St. Kateri, St. Cecilia site:

Today's readings:   http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/120212.cfm


          Good morning – and Happy New Year!

            It was probably ten days ago.  Just before Thanksgiving.  Watching some television, there were all sorts of commercials on, trying to get us to get up at some ungodly hour on Black Friday and go shopping, or not go to bed on Thanksgiving but rather head to the mall instead.  One commercial in particular caught my attention.  I can’t remember whose commercial it was, and I don’t recall what they were selling.  All I remember was this – a woman grabbed something off the shelf, threw it into her already very full shopping cart, and shouted “I’m Done!”  or “I’m Finished!” or some such.  Meaning, of course, that she had finished all her Christmas shopping.  Ready for Christmas. 

            And I remember saying to myself “Done, finished, ready – I haven’t even started!”  I’ve done no shopping, no Christmas cards, no decorating, nothing! 

            And then I immediately thought to myself “advent is still ten days away I’m REALLY not ready yet – how can this woman possibly be done and ready?” 

            Not only does today mark the beginning of the new Church year but, of course, the beginning of the season of Advent as well.    Advent is indeed a time of getting ready, a time to prepare ourselves, for the coming of the Lord.  And a time of waiting – in joyful anticipation – for the Lord.  And our readings all speak to this getting ready.  The season, I think, is summed up nicely by St. Paul in his letter to the Thessalonians when he says “May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we have for you, so as to strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus.”  Advent is a time to strengthen our hearts, so that we are blameless in holiness.  What better gift to give to the Baby Jesus on Christmas morning than our own strong, holy, blameless hearts?

            For that is what we are preparing for, of course – the Coming of the Lord.   And how are we to properly prepare for the Lord’s coming?  How are our hearts to be strengthened to be blameless in holiness?  I would like to suggest that frequent reception of the sacraments is a good place to start.  Frequently coming to Mass – perhaps considering making an effort to come to daily Mass for at least a few days each week this Advent.  St. Kateri has daily Masses every morning at 6:30, 8, 9 and 11:30.  Frequent participation at Mass and frequently receiving the Body and Blood of Our Lord in the Eucharist is a sure way to draw closer to Him and prepare our hearts to meet Him, the babe in the manger.

            But, our readings today aren’t only speaking of the coming of the Lord on Christmas morn.  No.  The readings are also speaking of the coming of our Lord at the end of time.  And more specifically, they speak of the coming of the Lord at the end of your time and my time, when our life on this earth is complete.  And that means that we really need to be “ready” – not only on Christmas morn, but all during our lives.

            Our Gospel today speaks of the end time, and Jesus tells us to not let that day catch us by surprise.  Rather, He says, we need to be vigilant at all times.  Always be ready.  Not just for Advent.  Not just at Christmastime.

            And, if we’re going to get serious about being ready, serious about increasing in holiness, I know of no better way than frequently getting on my knees and confessing that I am a sinner in need of God’s grace and mercy, His forgiveness.  Sacramentally.  In the Sacrament of Penance.  Where I acknowledge and name my sins and confess my sorrow – for what I have done and for what I have failed to do.  Where I promise to make amends for my sins and go forth to do better.  Pope Benedict said this past May that “there is a close connection between holiness and the Sacrament of Reconciliation…as we seek the real conversion of our hearts, which means opening ourselves to God’s transforming and renewing action.”, is the ‘driving force’ of every reform and evangelizing effort.”  Indeed, the Holy Father said that “the New Evangelization begins in the confessional.”

            So I’d invite you to prayerfully consider availing yourselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation sometime this Advent.  Don’t worry.  The priests won’t bite.  And they won’t judge you.  They’ll show you as best they can the love and mercy of Our Lord Himself.  And you’ll feel the freedom and lightness that can only come from casting off the burden of our sins!

            A couple years ago, my brother-in-law Chuck and his wife and kids were vacationing at my wife’s parents’ cottage in the Southern Tier.  On a bright and sunny Wednesday morning, Chuck and his wife and my in-laws all went to daily Mass in Watkins Glen.  After Mass, Chuck asked the priest if he would hear his confession, and the priest gladly said “yes.”  Chuck must have known something, we all think now, for two days later he went out for a 3-hour bike ride and when he was done, got off his bike, sat down under  a tree, and his heart stopped beating.  At 51 years old, with no warning, he met the Lord.

            And as difficult and painful as that was for his family, and my wife and me and all of the family, there was some comfort in knowing that Chuck has made his peace with the Lord, in the confessional just two days before.  We know not the time nor the place.  So we need to be prepared.  We need to be ready.

            I say this not to upset you or to scare you, but so that we all will heed the Lord’s words to be ready.  For Christ is coming.  And He wants our hearts joyful and ready to welcome Him.  He is coming as a helpless, newborn babe on Christmas morning.  He is coming at the end of time.  And He waits for us, to welcome us, to embrace us in His love and mercy, at the end of our lives.  So that we may live forever in joy and peace in the unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
            Marana tha.  Come Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment