Sunday, January 20, 2013

Preached today Jan 20 - SKT at St. Margaret Mary, 9a and 11a

Mass readings:  http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012013.cfm

Audio:   https://sites.google.com/site/sktdeaconed/home/mp3/homily%2001.20.13.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1


I    Got    Nuthin.
 <pause>

            A parishioner friend of mine once suggested to me that I consider saying that for my homily some time - “I got nuthin” - you know, some time when the right words just don’t come to me,  just get up there, he told me, shake your head, shrug your shoulders and say “I   got   nuthin.”  And go sit down.  “The people will appreciate your honesty,” he told me.

            Those words came back to me in reading today’s Gospel, for I imagined a beleaguered bartender at this fancy Cana wedding feast, when asked for one more glass of red wine, simply shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders and saying “Sorry.  I got nuthin.  Just ran out.  You’re out of luck, dude.”

            And the same words come to me whenever I pause to reflect on what my life would be like if Jesus Christ weren’t in it, on what it would be like if Jesus (and His mother!) weren’t my invited guests.  How could I hope to endure day to day and moment to moment in this twisted, mixed up and even violent and evil world if I didn’t have the love and the grace and the strength of Jesus Christ in my life? 

            You know, I often wonder just how folks who don’t have Faith in Christ do cope, how do they get by, how do they find meaning in their lives, if indeed they do?  Just how do folks deal with their own and their loved ones’ illnesses, job losses, the loss of parents, siblings, a spouse and even a child, all the “stuff” that happens in this world, this fallen world, how do they do that without the power of Christ in their lives?  As for me, without Him, I got nuthin.

            But the Lord’s grace is more than a crutch, a life-preserver to cling to in the stormy seas of our lives.  The Lord’s grace is also the power that enables you and me to fulfill our calling as Christians – to live good, holy lives, to live in and raise up good and holy families, to BE His hands and feet, mind and heart, ears and mouth in a world so hungry for Him, a world that doesn’t even know it’s hungry for Him. 

            For as feeble a husband and parent as I can be from time to time, I shudder to think what would happen without Faith in Christ, without His grace and power and mercy in my life.  And unworthy as I am, called to serve here at this altar and stand at this ambo, what could I possibly do if it weren’t Jesus Christ Himself using me and speaking through me?    The words of Peter come to mind, “depart from me, Lord, for I am a weak and sinful man.”  Without Him, I got nuthin.

            On the other hand, contrast that with the Lord Himself.  For as sparse and forsaken and desolate as our lives can seem, the Lord’s love and mercy and power are plentiful.  Overflowing.  Extravagant! 

            Do the math – six stone water jars each holding twenty to thirty gallons of water – that’s 150 gallons of new wine!  If my math is correct, that’s 587 litre-bottles of wine.  And not just any wine – the best wine!  Later on in John’s Gospel the Lord takes a couple fish and a few loaves and feeds five thousand!  What He gives us, what He feeds us - His mercy, His love, His grace, His POWER – they’re overflowing!  There’s no limit to it!  By myself - I got nuthin.  With Jesus, there’s no limit.  With Jesus, I got everything!

            But here’s the thing.  The crux.  We find them in Mary’s words today:  “Do whatever He tells you.”  If the waiters had ignored what Jesus told them, nuthin would have happened.  No miracle.  No amazing sign would have been given.   It took their cooperation, indeed, their trust, for anything to have happened that day.  And what cooperation it was.  These jars must have weighed 50 pounds and I assume they had to carry them to the well, and then bring them back, and filled to the brim they weighed over 250 pounds!  That’s a lot of work to carry six of them back to the wedding feast.  A lot of cooperation.  So Jesus did the miracle, but it only happened when the servants pitched in and did their part.

            And so it is with you.  And with me.  If we ignore what He is telling us, nuthin happens.  But if you and I listen to His quiet voice and gentle urgings, His tugs at our hearts, there is no limit to the grace He will pour into our lives.  No limit to what He can accomplish through us. Through you or me.  Through our Church.   In our world.  The Mother of Jesus says to the servants, and she is saying the same thing to you and to me: “Do whatever He tells you.”

<pause>

            We wrap up today a very special week in our liturgical year, a week devoted to vocations awareness.  A week in which we pray and contemplate on our own vocations, on the way in which Jesus Christ is calling each of us, right here and right now.  In what way each of us, as baptized followers of the Lord, will indeed “Do whatever He tells us.”  And a week in which we pray for vocations to ministry in the Church.

            To each is given different gifts for different forms of service.  It may be a vocation to love one other person for a lifetime in the Sacrament of Marriage.  And through that Sacrament to be open to bring new life into the world, and raise up faith-filled children.  It may be in the single life, to chastely and devoutly serve God and our fellow humankind.  And some are called to religious life.  To the holy priesthood.  The permanent diaconate.  To become consecrated religious – sisters and brothers.  Called in a unique way to give their lives to the Lord and His Church, His people.

            So even though we are now completing this vocations awareness week, let us continue to pray and contemplate on our own vocations, and let us pray that God will call forth good and worthy and holy servants of His Church and His people.  And that each of us will listen to Christ’s call in our own lives so that we may give ourselves to Him fully, to the glory of God the Father.  Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment