Monday, January 14, 2013

Preached yesterday, Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, St. Kateri Parish, St. Cecilia site

Mass readings:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/011313.cfm   (Is 42, Ti 2)



My father bragged about me. 

            He boasted about me to his friends.  To my uncles and aunts.  To the guys at the bar he liked to frequent – the Town Lounge down on Titus – where Murphs is now.  And not just about me - he would brag about my siblings, my brothers and sister as well.

            More specifically, my dad boasted about things I had done, things I had accomplished.

            Thing is, he never bragged about me when I was around.  I only knew he was proud of me because I heard about it from others, who told me what he had said. 

            And to my face, he could often be pretty critical.  Subtly or not so subtly communicating to me his expectations of me.  Conditions, if you will, on his praise if not his love.

            Now don’t get me wrong – my dad was a great guy, a great man, and a devoted, hard-working father.  He always put my mom and us kids ahead of himself, sacrificing himself for his family, to be sure.

            But like many of his generation, and my generation for that matter, I guess of every generation, he had trouble telling his kids exactly how he felt.  Telling his kids he was proud of them, of what they accomplished.  Even telling his kids he loved them.

            Which brings me to today’s Gospel, because the words of God the Father, those powerful, mysterious words coming down out of heaven – “you are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased” – these words seem a bit foreign to me, and they might be to you as well.  They’re words I don’t think I ever heard – words I can’t exactly relate to.

            My first reaction to hearing these words spoken about Jesus is – “of course you’re well pleased, God, I mean after all Jesus is your Only Begotton Son, Jesus is perfect, Jesus is God!” 

            And then, after thinking some more and meditating on this reading, I was a bit startled – it occurred to me that Jesus hadn’t DONE anything yet to deserve this.  No accomplishments, no service, no miracles or healings, no nothing, to deserve this kind of powerful, mysterious testimony from God the Father.   I mean this all happens not at the end of His earthly ministry, but at the very beginning!  It was only after this event that Jesus had the inspiration, the courage, the power to go forth to preach, and to heal, and to love.

            Thinking about all this made me realize that maybe I have a faulty notion of love, of what makes one a beloved Son.  A beloved daughter.  And perhaps you do too. 

            Most of my life I think I’ve had this idea in my head that somehow I had to earn love, to earn praise.  That I was worthy of respect and love, not based on who I am, but based on what I did.  Or what I stayed away from doing.

So maybe that’s why the words of the Father in today’s Gospel sound a bit foreign to me – “you are my beloved Son.  With you I am well pleased.” 

            The Father isn’t saying to Jesus that He is well pleased with what He’s accomplished.  He is saying He’s well pleased with Him.  As a person.  As His beloved Son.

            And here’s the thing – I think the Father is saying the same thing to you.  And to me.  For just as Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit in this Gospel scene, so were you and I anointed with the Holy Spirit at our baptisms.  For just as Jesus was identified by the Father as His only Son and sent out on His mission of salvation, so were you and I called in our baptism to take up that mission.

“You are my beloved daughter.  With you I am well pleased.”

“You are my beloved son.  With you I am well pleased.”

            He wants you to know that it isn’t about what you’ve done or haven’t done.  He doesn't care how you look, He isn’t focused on your sins, about the ways you’ve messed up your life, or messed up your family’s life, about all the ways you wish you could get a do-over.   He’s not dwelling on all the ways we think we’ve let Him down.

            Today he wants you to know, he wants me to know, that you are His beloved daughter.  His beloved Son.  That by your baptism you are His child.  That He created you and loves you, without conditions, without attachments.  That  He reveres you and cherishes you, and holds you in the palm of His hand.

<pause>

            It seems to me that our Christian journey really only begins when the unconditional love that God Our Father has for us dawns on us, gets through our thick skulls, settles into our hearts, seeps into our souls.  That, my brothers and sisters, is the beginning of our Christian journey.

            For when God’s love fills us, when we become convinced of it, when we simply accept it, our only reaction is great joy and profound gratitude.  When we realize that God’s love is His free gift, that we neither merit it, nor earn it, nor can we ever lose it, our only reaction then is to love Him back and serve Him in joy and gratitude.

            When God’s love for us fills our lives, then we want out of gratitude to reject godless ways and worldly desires, and live temperately and justly and devoutly.

            And when we look around at our brothers and sisters, here in Church and out there in our community and world, especially the poor and the downtrodden and the forgotten, we realize that each one of them is God’s beloved son, God’s beloved daughter.  And how can we not want to hold each of them with respect, with love, and serve them.

            Indeed, when we become convinced of God’s love for us, we realize that the only right response is to love Him back, to give Him our very lives, our very selves.  In whatever vocation we’re called to.  Indeed the Christian journey is about our response to God’s love for us, in ever deepening love of God, and ever deepening commitment of our lives to Him and our neighbor.  Culminating on that day when we become eternally united with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in heaven forever.

<pause>

            Well, in addition to being the end of the Christmas season, today marks the beginning of a very special week in our Church calendar.  Today marks the beginning of vocation awareness week.  A week in which we contemplate and meditate and pray about and for vocations. 

            Each one of us, you and I are called to discern how it is that God invites us to respond to His wondrous love, what is the unique way in which  God calls you and me by our baptisms to give our lives completely to Him, in gratitude and love. 

            Many are called to the vocation of marriage and family life, in which our response to God’s love is to love one other person for our lifetimes and, God willing, to co-create with the Lord new human life, to bring new children of God into the world, to educate them and raise them up in the Faith. 

            Some are called to the single life, to chastely and devoutly serve God and our fellow humankind.

            And some are called to religious life.  To the holy priesthood.  The permanent diaconate.  To become consecrated religious – sisters and brothers.  Called in a unique way to give their lives to the Lord and His Church, His people.

            All of us are called, indeed throughout our lives, to discern what it is that God is calling us to, calling me to, calling you to, right here and right now. 

            So let us pray, today and all this week, that the Father will send the Holy Spirit to descend on His people and give us wisdom and guidance and right judgment in discerning His call.  To realize His great love for us and to discern how it is that God desires for us to respond to that great love.  And let us pray that God will call forth good and holy and worthy servants of His Church and His people.  To go forth, as Jesus did, to preach and to heal and to love.

            In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment