Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Preached this morning - Ash Wednesday - 6:30a and 8a at CTK

Today's readings:   http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/021313.cfm


            I went to Catholic grade school just after they stopped teaching the Baltimore Catechism.  Which I think is a shame for me because unlike my parents and older siblings even, I never had the chance to commit the Church’s catechism teaching to memory!  Luckily, the entire Baltimore Catechism can now be found with a simple google search on line for anyone who is interested.

            For those who can still remember their lessons in the Baltimore Catechism, they will probably recall the definition of sin:  actual sin, the catechism taught, was defined as “any willful thought, word, deed, or omission contrary to the law of God.”  Now that’s as good a definition as any, but it views sin only in terms of commandments that we are breaking, breaking the law of God.

            The current Catechism also speaks of sin as breaking God’s commandments, but it takes a much broader approach.  The current Catechism says that “Sin is an offense against God” and then it quotes today’s Psalm, Psalm 51 - “Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight.”  The catechism continues:  “Sin sets itself against God's love for us and turns our hearts away from it.” 

            It’s this view of sin, that sin sets itself against God’s love for us, that I encourage you to contemplate today as we begin this season of Lent.  For these forty days are a time in which we are called to repent of our sins and turn back to God, and as Christians we are called not only to repent of our sins but to grow and transcend our sinfulness, so it makes sense for us to spend some time contemplating exactly what is meant by sin. 

            Today’s first and second readings, it seems to me, really call us to view our sinfulness in terms of our relationship with God.  The reading from the prophet Joel calls us to “return to Him with our whole heart, rending our hearts, not our garments.”  Notice Joel doesn’t say “stop doing that” or “do more of this.”  He is calling us to relationship, to a renewed and deeper relationship with our creator.  We are called to examine not only what sins we have committed and be sorry for them, but to go deeper than that.  To recognize in our sinfulness where our relationship with God is torn or tattered or fraying at the edges.  To ponder what exactly is it about me and my relationship with the Lord that is at the root of my sins.  Why is it that I doubt God’s love for me, or I disregard it, or I forget about it completely, in my sinfulness?

            For at the heart of every one of our sins, you and I are in some way rejecting God, rejecting His love for us.  We tend to think of serious sin as severing our relationship with the Lord; but I wonder if serious sin is not the result, rather than the cause, of a damaged relationship with the Lord.  Of a relationship in which we take the Lord’s love for granted, or worse, where we think we can go it alone and don’t need to be concerned with the Lord.  A relationship where I put myself at the center of my life and everything revolves around me, rather than a relationship in which God is at the center.

            And while we tend to focus on our sins of commission, or at least I do, in this light, it’s much easier for us to see our sins of omission – not only what I have done, but also what I have failed to do.  In what ways have I failed to respond to God’s love for me by taking those close to me for granted?  In what ways have I forgotten God when I’ve forgotten the last and the least – when I have neglected the poor, the elderly, the homeless, the mentally ill?  In what ways have I rejected God’s love when I have failed to love?

            Thankfully, the Church gives us these six or so weeks to retreat, if you will, as Christ did to the desert, to step back and really ponder our lives.  This is a time in which we are called to be reconciled to the Lord – as Saint Paul urges in our second reading.  To step back and really work on our relationship with Christ.  But we must recognize that to do so, requires our time and our commitment.  It requires that we carve out a portion of each day, devoted to our spiritual growth, to growth in our relationship with the Lord.

            A time in which we may pray more frequently and more fervently.  By taking time to give alms of our resources and our time.  Through fasting and sacrifice, which help us to appreciate God’s gifts to us, without which we can’t help but to take God’s gifts to us for granted!  By spiritual reading, meditation, contemplation.  By participating more regularly in the sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist and Sacrament of Reconciliation.

            Let us pray then that God will open our eyes and minds and hearts to see all the ways in which our relationship with Him needs mending.  And that He will give us the grace by which we may be healed and reconciled to Him.  So that, after our forty days in the desert, we may run with joy through the flowering garden to approach His empty tomb!

No comments:

Post a Comment