Monday, December 30, 2013

Homily for the Feast of the Holy Family December 29, 2013 - St. Kateri at (I think) St. Cecilia





            At the corner of Ridge and Stone in Greece there used to be a Howard Johnson’s Restaurant.  It’s long gone now, replaced by an auto parts store.  But the reason I remember the Howard Johnson’s is because that was my earliest memory of today’s Feast of the Holy Family.  My family wasn’t poor but we sure weren’t rich either, and the only time we would ever go out to breakfast was on today’s Feast.  Go to Mass and head over to HoJos for a restaurant breakfast to celebrate the Holy Family.  So my earliest memory of today’s feast is a joyful one.
            But I have all sorts of other memories of my growing up years as well.  While I don’t remember what they were fighting about, I can still remember some of the things - the specific things -  that my parents would say to each other in the heat of an argument.  Or would yell at the seven of us kids.  Mean things.  Stinging things.  Said fifty or so years ago but fresh in my memory as if they were this morning.  And I can remember some of the things I said and did in fights with my siblings.   Time won’t erase every one of the bad memories of growing up.
            And the sad thing is that my own wife, and my own children, are carrying memories of the hurtful things  I’ve said and done during the twenty-five years of our marriage, during the 20-something years of our kids’ lives.  Perhaps because they aren’t reluctant to remind me - regularly !
            So as a result, for most of my life, when the Feast of the Holy Family rolled around, I had a different emotion than joy.  Someplace between fear and embarrassment.  Maybe unworthiness.  You see, on this day the Church holds up THE Holy Family – Jesus, Mary and Joseph - as our model, as our example to emulate, and, well, my family, whether it’s my family of origin, or the family of which I am husband and father, my family has never quite measured up.  Call my family “holy” and these not-so-pleasant memories race into my mind, reminding me of how “unholy” we’ve been, I’ve been.  Even though the Holy Family had their struggles, their difficulties, as today’s Gospel makes clear, how can I really relate to Jesus, Mary and Joseph - THE Holy Family - when two of the three never sinned and when the child was the very Son of God?
            But, God understands this.  God understands that every family has its imperfections.  Difficulties.  Brokenness.  How could they not?  For each of us humans  is imperfect, broken, a sinner!   But imperfect as our families are, there IS holiness in each one.  Blessed Pope John Paul called the family a “School of Love” and it is – for it is the very place where we learn the meaning of self-giving love, the place where children, and adults too, learn the other virtues as well – gentleness, patience, peace, perseverance, forgiveness, obedience, hard work and service, to name a few.
            But the meaning of today’s Feast is that, unholy as we can be, each of our families is called to greater holiness.  The Greek word for “holy” is hagios, which basically translates to “separated unto God.”  We recognize that God is holy, we even say Holy, Holy Holy – we recognize that God is separate from us - God is other.  And if your family and mine heed the call to greater holiness, it means to strive to be other – different than we are now, and different than what this world and this culture say a modern family is supposed to look like.  Another word for holy is sacred.  Each of our families is called to be sacred!

            It starts with marriage – each married couple is called to strive, to work every day, to make decisions every day, with the help of the grace of the Marriage Sacrament – to love each other ever more and more in the image of Christ’s love – a totally self-giving, self-sacrificing love.  To strive to image, in the love of husband and wife, the love of Christ for His Church.
            It means that the marital sexual act BE just that – a marital act - a holy act reserved exclusively to a husband and a wife who are sharing a faithful, permanent union, an act always open to the possibility of co-creating with God new human life.
            It means making choices to build the strongest marriage possible, and to seek help when needed.  It is said that the greatest gift a husband and wife can give to their children is to love each other.
            And a holy family, a sacred family, builds strong loving ties among all its members.  Children are taught to love and obey and respect their parents, and parents learn to respect, and form, and most of all love their children.  And building a holy family means that faith is ever nurtured, through regular participation in the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation, through prayer together and prayer for each other, and by the example of Christian discipleship shown by each of the parents.
            Now I realize that some of what I’ve just said might sound to some of you like a fairy tale, distant and removed perhaps from real life which is often so messy, so difficult, so ugly even.  Perhaps someone’s thinking “Too late for my marriage, Deacon, so whaddya got for me?”  Or someone else might be thinking “I haven’t spoken to my sister in thirty years, Deacon, so thanks but no thanks.”
             So to you, I would propose this. 
            The real meaning of today’s Feast, the reason it appears during the Christmas season, is that Jesus can heal us, can heal our families.  Can heal my family, and yours.  The other day I was preparing this homily and I said a little prayer – “Lord, what do you want me to tell them this weekend?”  And immediately popped into my head was this – “tell them I can heal them.”  It’s the reason He came among us, it’s why became an infant 2000 years ago, why He was born into a human family.  To heal us.  To forgive us and restore us.
            To heal each of us individually, our habits, our addictions, our sinfulness, our brokenness.  With His infinite tenderness and love and mercy.  No matter what we’ve done, no matter the hurtful things we’ve said, He smiles at us and welcomes us with open arms, bidding us to come to Him.  Christ doesn’t know how to stop loving us!
            And He came to heal our broken relationships.  Once we’ve felt the love and mercy of Christ, we begin to extend that love and mercy to those who’ve hurt us, or to humbly beg forgiveness of those we’ve hurt.  He came to open just a crack in the walls we’ve built around ourselves to let in the light of peace and joy where there’s been only darkness.
            My sisters and brothers, you and I are called to live in a community of love and the most basic community of love is the family.  By God’s grace, by the presence of the newborn Jesus in our lives, may each of our families grow in love, and in faith, and in holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment