Monday, January 30, 2017

Homily preached for the Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time - January 29, 2017 - St. Kateri at St. Margaret Mary

Today's scripture proclamations:  http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012917.cfm


I can still recall the conversation pretty clearly, happened almost thirty years ago.  I had been looking for a new job.  A first interview at one company, then a call-back and second interview with the company owner.  Seemed to go pretty well, and now I was getting pretty cocky, thinking this is a slam dunk.
Couple days later, waiting to hear from them, waiting for the offer I’m expecting, I’m reading the want ads (this was long before monster.com), and I focus on this job description.  I read a couple lines – sounds good.  Read a couple more – sounds familiar.  Read the last - hey wait a minute - this sounds exactly like the job I just interviewed for twice.
So I call the headhunter.  I say I read your ad – is this so-and-so company?”  “It is,” she said, “how did you guess?” 
“Because it sounds exactly like the job I just interviewed for over there.”  “I’m really sorry, that’s too bad.” she says.  “They called us yesterday and said they wanted more candidates.”  “Bummer,” I said, and wrote off that opportunity.
Happy ending, though, for eventually I did get the offer and spent a few good years at that company.
Today’s Gospel proclamation, from Our Lord's sermon on the mount, presents us a bit of a job description, too, doesn’t it?  These eight beatitudes, which means blessednesses, or graces, these eight are kind of like the Lord’s job description for anyone who would be His disciple, His follower.
I must confess, I’ve never been all that fond of these beatitudes, they’ve always made me feel a little uncomfortable. I’ve always found them challenging.  Certainly never wanted to preach about them. 
Why?  Because unlike that job I’d interviewed for, with its every requirement one I thought I was a perfect match for, truth be told I’ve never necessarily thought of myself when presented with, or thinking about, these eight beatitudes.  No.  I’ve always squirmed a little.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, meaning those unattached to the things of this world.  Me? 
Blessed are the meek, meaning not weak, but controlled strength and humble.  Does that describe me?  Or would overbearing and obnoxious be a better description, at least a lot of the time.
Blessed are they who mourn, yes meaning those who have lost loved ones, but also meaning those who decry the vast evil in the world, like those who traveled to Washington Friday for the 44th March for Life.  Am I always mournful, unsettled by the world’s evils and injustices?
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for justice, who will not be silent in the face of injustice.  Like Cardinal Tobin of Newark, close friend by the way of our pastor, who this week spoke out against the new President’s immigration actions, saying that our welcome to immigrants is one of the things that made America great in the first place.  Am I like that?  Is my life about hungering and thirsting for justice?
Blessed are they who show mercy.  What humility it takes, doesn’t it?  To put aside self and ego to give forgiveness and mercy.  What grudges do I cling to?  And do I spend my time doing the works of mercy, corporal and spiritual?
Blessed are the clean of heart.  Is mine clean, or is it smudged by greed, or pride, or lust?
Blessed are the peacemakers.  Do I seek to bring about peace in the situations of my life?  I can too easily recall being an agent of conflict and divisiveness.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for justice’s sake.  Am I OK with being persecuted, or do I dwell on what others think of me, yearning to be accepted, fearing I won’t be liked?
If you’re like me, going through this list, you might find it pretty uncomfortable, too.  And I’m pretty sure Jesus meant it to be just that – dis-comforting - shaking us out of our comfort zones.
But here’s the thing – I’m also pretty sure that the same Jesus who is telling us today – this is what it means to be my disciple – I’m pretty sure He also will give us the grace to live the beatitudes out.  Give us the grace to desire to live the beatitudes out.
You see, as we grow in faith, becoming more sure of His love, He places within us the seed of desire to more and more live this way.  He places within us a desire to know Him better, to live more like Him.  And these beatitudes are what it means to live like Him.
Imagine the difference we would make in the world if each of us were to live the beatitudes, if the world saw the beatitudes in each of us, in all of us.  The would see Christ in each of us.
For these are not only our job description.  They’re also a pretty darn good description of what Our Lord Jesus was all about, too, huh?  Meek, not weak.   Humble and poor in spirit.  Mournful of the sin, the evil around Him.  Yearning for righteousness and justice.  Showing incredible mercy.  Making peace.  Pure of heart.  And willing to suffer persecution and yes, even death, death on a cross. 
That describes Jesus to a T.  And with His grace, with the help of His sacraments, especially Eucharist - His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity we receive into our bodies and souls here at the altar, yes you and I can live more and more a beatitude life.
Now Our Lord’s job description doesn’t come with a promise of competitive pay but it does promise great benefits.  It promises peace and joy in this life and the best retirement.  Just look what you and I are promised, and what we have to look forward to – you and I will be comforted, shown mercy, we’ll inherit the land, we’ll be satisfied.  You and I will be called children of God, will see God and inherit His Kingdom of Heaven, for all eternity.

Now who could ever turn down an offer like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment