Monday, January 16, 2017

Homily - Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A - January 15, 2017 at 5p/9a, St. Cecilia Church

Today's Scripture Proclamations:  http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/011517.cfm


I was on my way to work this week, listening to Catholic radio as I’m wont to do, and heard a fundraising promotional spot which I hadn’t heard before.  It was a tape of the Chili fire department radio, middle of the night, January 1, two years ago.  It was only a snippet  I heard on the radio, but I found the complete radio call on youtube.  Went like this –
Beep-beep.  Company number 3 – automatic alarm activated…St. Pius Tenth Church, thirty-ten Chili Avenue, Box 3604.  4332 responding.  4332 be advised we’re getting additional alarms from the alarm company – front foyer, east smoke, front office, north smoke, south and west – smoke.  4332?  Go ahead.  Firefighter on location reporting heavy fire in the building – St Pius the Tenth Church thirty-ten Chili Avenue.  Got heavy fire from the church.  4332 on location – we have water.  32 on location – they have water.  4332 has command in front of the building and he has a fully-involved structure.
If you’re a fire-fighter with one of our local companies – Ridge Culver, Sea Breeze, Point Pleasant, Laurelton, St. Paul perhaps – you might find that kind of interesting, and you’d certainly appreciate those who get up in the middle of the night to risk their lives to go put out a fire.  For doing that, for making yourselves available like that, let me say “thank you!”
But why did I listen to that and repeat it today?  Well what really caught my ear when I first heard that this week were a couple of lines – “got heavy fire from the church” and “he has a fully-involved structure.”  Got heavy fire from the church. Fully-involved structure.
And I said to myself, isn’t that sort of our goal?  I mean, we don’t want to see our church buildings literally on fire.  But isn’t it our goal as a parish to be on fire as a church, to have a fully involved church?
These readings today seem to me to have one thing in common – a calling to action, a calling to apostleship, a calling to action.  And, it seems to me that our call is to be fully involved, fully on fire.
It is too little, the Lord says to the prophet Isaiah, to be His servant.  Rather, the Lord says “I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”
The psalmist responds “Here am I, Lord, I come to do your will.”
And the beginning of his first letter to the people of Corinth, St. Paul writes to a people “who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of the lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.” 
And we heard two callings in this evening’s (morning’s) Gospel – the calling of John to baptize with water and testify that Jesus is the Son of God – and the calling of Jesus, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
For us who testify that we are His disciples, we, too are called.  It is too little for us, too, to serve Him – rather you and I – we the Church – are called to be a light to the nations that His salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.  Some, of course, may be called to literally go forth and be a light to the nations – just yesterday/Friday we buried a parishioner, a dentist, who without fanfare went on dental missions to a couple nations in South America, taking vacation time to do much-needed dental work for the poor in those countries.
But even if we aren’t called to go to other nations, we certainly are called to be His light to the ends of our town, from the river in the west, lake in the north, bay in the east and city in the south.  That is our calling, that is our mission. It is our vocation!  It is right there in our statement as a parish – To invite and welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and walks of life to embrace and celebrate our vocation – to be Christ to the world.
We are still at the beginning of a new year – I would encourage everyone to pray and consider – how can I, how can we, be more fully involved?  How is He calling me, right now, to more fully live out that vocation?  What is my role in building up His Kingdom?
One idea – volunteer firefighter!  We assume someone will come and come quickly when we make that 911 call.  What if there were no “someone” willing to give of their time, willing to sacrifice and take risks, to come?
Another idea – hospice worker.  Our local hospice, Sunset House, has had a number of very long time volunteers retire.  Might the Lord be calling you to bring your talents and big heart to help those in the last days and hours of life?  Just a thought.
Other ideas – children’s liturgy, Good Samaritan transportation, visiting the homebound, teaching a faith formation class, and I could go on and on.
Maybe you’re at a place in your life where you can do no more than pray – but how important, how vital, is prayer!  To use your time to pray, for the Church, for its ministers, the faithful, that we may together continue to build His Kingdom right here in Irondequoit – that is a beautiful and necessary thing!
So as we begin this new year – we’re only half way through January after all, let us pray that 2017 may be a year in which we as a parish are fully on fire for the Lord.  And as we behold the Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, let us implore Our Blessed Lord to send His Holy Spirit to us to fan the flames of the fire in our hearts, so that we may burn ever more brightly, and truly be a light to the nations.  
That’s homily #1.  Homily #2, briefly:
One other way of building the Kingdom and being Christ to the world is through the CMA.  I know you’ve heard a lot of pitches for the CMA, and hopefully this will be the last for this year.  We’re nearly at our goal, 95% at last count.  I urge you, if you haven’t donated to the CMA, please prayerfully consider doing so. 
I stand here as a beneficiary of the CMA – except for the cost of books, my entire 4-1/2 years of masters-level education and formation for deacon ordination was paid by the Diocese out of CMA funds.  For that, I promised to give back my service, without pay, through retirement, to the diocese and my assigned parish.  That is my vocation, that is my calling, and indeed it is my great joy – to serve Him and His people, and in my own way try to be a light to the nations.  But it was made possible through generous gifts to the CMA.

So please, if you haven’t yet given, please consider doing so.  Thank you and may God richly bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment